Thursday 4 June 2009

MP Expenses

I'm quite disappointed with myself for going over two weeks without a blog update, I hope it does not happen again in the not-too-distant future. In my defence, I have (supposedly) been revising for finals and working on my essays, although it is true to say I have not done enough work on any of those counts to warrant this prolonged absence.

Anyway, just a brief rant for now, to remind myself I have this blog and to express my disdain at MPs' expenses - what a fucking joke! The government send out TV ads warning 'benefit thieves' that they're going to be caught - and hung, drawn and quartered presumably - for 'cash in hand' jobs, etc etc, when half the government is claiming for mortgages already paid back, carpet cleaning, and duck houses. And the ones under pressure are now 'stepping down due to family commitments'.

I'm fully aware that quite a few MPs have made quite justifiable claims, but then there are those who have tried to defend themselves by maintaining they were 'acting wholly within the rules'. It's just a case of one rule for them and a different one for everyone else. Don't get me wrong, I know every job (arguably) has its perks and I would quite happily walk away with a free guitar from work if I could. But I can't, and I don't, and even if I did, I certainly wouldn't walk away with £27k worth of musical equipment.

Anyway, I don't want to go on too much about it because I'm sure everyone has expressed an opinion on the topic, or at least knows someone who has.

I do hope everyone votes wisely today...(By which I do not mean 'punish the pigs by voting BNP' lol.) And if you don't want to vote - feel free to cast one on my behalf. For the Lib Dems perhaps. Viva Nick Clegg! (& Vince Cable!)

No comments:

Post a Comment